To replay our Facebook Live Worship service from 3/29/2020, click here...
Our first-ever remote worship service was perfect… just absolutely perfect! You can see the video here on our Facebook page. Tomas read the story of Jesus healing the blind man (John 9:1-41), Cassandra delivered the message, while Ryan played his keyboard and a chorus of birds sang in lieu of a choir!
This Sunday, March 22, 2020, Pastor Cassandra and Music Director Ryan will be broadcasting our first-ever remote worship service. Join us on the Woodforest Presbyterian Church Facebook page at 10:00 am!
The Spirit was present… but the virus was not!
A small group of Woodforest Presbyterian Members met for outdoor worship on March 15, 2020. Fresh air and sunshine are healthy for us - but bad for viruses! Our hands were washed, the chairs were disinfected, and a 6’ social distance was maintained at all times. Together, we shared prayers, scripture, songs, a message - and the spring weather. As the service progressed, more and more chairs were added as passing members of the community joined in.
The Session of Woodforest Presbyterian Church continues to monitor the ongoing health crisis, and our plan is to notify everyone each Friday of any changing plans.
As of 3/15/2020, we have made the following schedule adjustments:
In response to the Corona Virus outbreak, Woodforest Presbyterian Church is taking the following steps. These measures are necessary for the health of both our church members AND our entire community:
• On Sunday, 3/15/2020, we will gather for an abbreviated outdoor worship service, followed by a Called Session meeting. Sunday school for all ages has been canceled.
• Many of us fall into the CDC’s higher-risk categories including elderly persons, and/or persons with underlying health issues such as heart disease, diabetes, lung disease, or compromised immune systems. We strongly urge these members to consult with their doctors about whether to attend group events. Unfortunately, this may mean missing worship services.
• If you are feeling “under the weather” don’t push it! Please stay home - we love you just the same! Call us and we will work to provide alternative spiritual care. And please stay home if you have a sick family member in your household.
• Please maintain a 6’ social distance from your fellow worshipers. Greet each other verbally and refrain from shaking hands or hugging. The practice of Passing the Peace has been suspended during worship services. To increase social distance between worshipers, we have removed every other row of chairs in the sanctuary.
• Cover your coughs or sneezes with a tissue instead of your hand or elbow.
• Cleanliness counts! Door knobs and counters will be disinfected before and after services. Please wash your hands thoroughly (and frequently) with soap and water. Tissues and hand-sanitizing supplies are available throughout the facility. Ask if you need help.
• The water fountain has been marked “out of order”. Please drink bottled or tap water instead.
• Wine and bread for Communion will be individually portioned. Volunteers will wear gloves when preparing and serving food items in our kitchen.
The following websites have information on the evolving Corona Virus outbreak:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
The World Health Organization
US Department of Health and Human Services
Presbyterian Disaster Assistance
Houston Health Department: COVID-19 hotline number: 832-393-4220.
As we monitor the ongoing situation, Woodforest Presbyterian Church will take additional measures as needed, up to and including canceling services, arranging for worship broadcasts, etc.
Do not lose heart or become discouraged. The Spirit is kind and connects us all through time and space. We are still the church together! But for now, stay tuned, be careful… and stay well!
Woodforest Presbyterian Church is a loving and diverse congregation that has been serving the Channelview area of Houston, TX for sixty years.